Soft Launch Contest! Whomever gets 100 non-spam posts first gets a $25 gift card to REMIX! ×

USB Swap/USB White Elephant?

Hey everyone! This is a forum topic for us to chat about an idea brought up by Luji, our first student DJ. He has an idea that we could do a USB Swap event at some point where everyone prepares a USB drive with music on it and challenges the recipient of their USB to DJ a short set with it. 

Justin and I will help figure things out with everyone in this forum topic. We're not sure quite yet when this event can take place, but when we do, we'll be posting in this thread. 

So, to get things started, what kind of rules do you folks want to have in place? How do you think an event like this could work? 

I think we should all prepare sets that are in the order of key the songs are in. That still leaves plenty of room for various mixing styles to test with various genres. And maybe once whoever wants to is signed up, we could possibly pick 2 or 3 types of genres to put on a list so we all have unique sets.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Luji said:

I think we should all prepare sets that are in the order of key the songs are in. That still leaves plenty of room for various mixing styles to test with various genres. And maybe once whoever wants to is signed up, we could possibly pick 2 or 3 types of genres to put on a list so we all have unique sets.

That could definitely work. Do you think that people should pick a genre at random or pick a genre of their choice? I agree that the sets should for sure be unique, but we run the risk of ending up with an uneven amount of people joining, making one of us need to create 2 USBs. 

yoyoyo!  let's keep the conversation going!  thank you for getting started with the forum @Luji!  I have a question, if one does not mix in key, is that a problem?  for instance, if i joined in, my tracks are not in key.  would i have to key them (how?) or should there be another category of mix (non-key?)?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Wild Card said:

YES.....thank you Jasper....

I started a new post about this not sure if you can see it? 

This sounds like F.U.N. - 

I did see it Alice and fixed the issue. If you can post what you did in that previous topic here, that'd be good.

oke doke- I thought it might be real interesting and challenging to mix a genre I haven't played before so maybe we would each choose a different genre, and even if it isn't by key, try it anyway....

great way to sharpen your skills?

how about having a few genre choices and we "pick" out of a hat? or would it be to hard to choose tunes if you are not familiar with the genre? 

just throwing it out there.....

• Like 2

I could see it being tricky to gather music in an unfamiliar genre, however, I do think it would be a great exercise. I feel like to do that, someone more experienced with something like drum & bass or any other genre would create a USB. Perhaps, were we to go that route, we could just draw the USBs out of the hat?

4 hours ago, Luji said:

If someone is somewhat inexperienced i think the tracks being mixed in key could be a little bit of a helping had. Then maybe if we did a second one then it could a little more challenging. Kinda like leveling up in video games.

@Wild Card and I were talking about this.  she said the same thing.  I guess i need to learn the key wheel!

giphy.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...